Monday, November 3, 2014

Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins

Hex Hall (Hex Hall, #1)Three years ago, Sophie Mercer discovered that she was a witch. It's gotten her into a few scrapes. Her non-gifted mother has been as supportive as possible, consulting Sophie's estranged father—an elusive European warlock—only when necessary. But when Sophie attracts too much human attention for a prom-night spell gone horribly wrong, it's her dad who decides her punishment: exile to Hex Hall, an isolated reform school for wayward Prodigium, a.k.a. witches, faeries, and shapeshifters.
By the end of her first day among fellow freak-teens, Sophie has quite a scorecard: three powerful enemies who look like supermodels, a futile crush on a gorgeous warlock, a creepy tag-along ghost, and a new roommate who happens to be the most hated person and only vampire student on campus. Worse, Sophie soon learns that a mysterious predator has been attacking students, and her only friend is the number-one suspect.
As a series of blood-curdling mysteries starts to converge, Sophie prepares for the biggest threat of all: an ancient secret society determined to destroy all Prodigium, especially her.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
WARNING: THIS BOOK REVIEW IS GOING TO BE FULL OF FRIENDS GIFS.  Just saying. :)
Okay, this book is the bomb!  You know how I first found out about it?  Remember when you were a preteen and you bought the J-14, Tiger Beat, and Bop magazines?  I spent a fortune on those, I thought they were the best thing in the world.  Anyway I digress.  I saw an advertisement in one of them, and when I went to B&N one day I saw it, remembered the ad and picked it up.  I even got my mom hooked on this series.
I used to read it to her, insert dateless teenage years here, I'm lame I know.  But when your a book nerd who rather spend her nights reading than going out on dates it happens.
Sophie is my kind of girl.  We would be best friends in an instant, or we would butt heads.  She's sassy and spunky.  But I would be envious of her because she has magic powers and I don't.  Sophie is kind of a loner, but she does have one friend: A vampire named Jenna.  Jenna's cool, she's shy plus it's hard for her to be at school with witches, faeries, and shapeshifters.  She's one of the only vamps that goes to school at Hex Hall, and when mysterious attacks start happening she's the number one suspect.  And that kind of sucks.  No pun intended.
Sophie doesn't want to go to Hex Hall, but she's kind of forced to go, by her dad who is also the head of the  Prodigium.  Although the only reason why she's going is because she kept using magic recklessly and it was sort of punishment for her.  It's like a reform school for magical beings.  Sophie still doesn't like that she has to go.  Sophie's just standing back like: 
So there are two guys...  There are always two guys aren't there?  Like you have these two really hot guys battling over who will win the girl, and you either like one or the both of them.  My choice in this one was simple.  Cal.
That was my choice from the very beginning.  Although my friend and I argued over whether we liked Cal or Archer better.  This is how friendships end... arguing over fictional boys.  Don't worry!  We're still good friends who argue over who we like better in books. :)
Archer was just to cocky for me.  Normally I like the cocky guys in books.  Like William Herondale, ah Will.  I could go on about him all day.  But I digress.  Archer was the bad kind of cocky in my opinion, and I just didn't like him.  I liked the shy quiet guy, Cal.  He's a real sweetheart.
Sophie of course falls for Archer in the first book.  She gravitates more toward Cal in the second and last book, and I'm not going to tell you who she chooses because that would just ruin the book for you.
To me this is Archer:
But he's not as charming as Joey is.
So this is basically like regular school.  You have the popular girls, the mean teachers, and of course the crazy psychotic ghost running around.
Don't tell me you've never been to a school with a psychotic ghost before?  Okay yeah well neither have I and I don't think I want to either.
Everyone thinks that Jenna's behind the whole attacks on the students, but she's not.  Sorry if that ruins it, but Jenna's very important in the series.  It's the psychotic ghost.  There I said it, but I'm not telling you who the ghost is.
Overall I really enjoyed this book, and this series.  It is a good read for anyone who likes magical stuff, and troubled teens with daddy issues.  I would totally recommend reading this.
Favorite Quotes:
“Good luck explaining to God that you used to spank one of his heavenly beings."
Mom gave a startled laugh. "Sophie!"
"What? You did. I hope you like hot weather, Mom, that's all I'm saying.” 


“Sophia Mercer," Elodie intoned, "we have come to induct you into our sisterhood. Say the five words to begin the ritual."
I blinked at her. "Are you freaking kidding me?"
Anna gave an exasperated sigh. "No, the five words are 'I accept you offer, sisters.”

“The "Holy-crap-that's-a-lot-of-pink" zone would have been a more accurate description.”

“I stared at them. Had that been their sales pitch? Look!We're really scary! Come be scary too!”

“Archer's not cute," She amended. "Puppies are cute. Babies are cute. I'm cute. Archer Cross is smokin' hot. And I'm not even into guys.”

Overview:
Stars: Five Stars
Author: Rachel Hawkins
Series Book: Yes
Will I Read The Next Book: Yes
~~~~A


No comments:

Post a Comment