Monday, March 7, 2016

School of Deaths by Christopher Mannino

21798470Thrust into a world of men, can a timid girl find bravery as the first female Death?

Thirteen-year-old Suzie Sarnio always believed the Grim Reaper was a fairy tale image of a skeleton with a scythe. Now, forced to enter the College of Deaths, she finds herself training to bring souls from the Living World to the Hereafter. The task is demanding enough, but as the only female in the all-male College, she quickly becomes a target. Attacked by both classmates and strangers, Suzie is alone in a world where even her teachers want her to fail. 

Scythes hungry for souls, Deaths who subjugate a race of mysterious magicians, and echoes of an ancient war with Dragons.

As her year progresses, Suzie suspects her presence isn't an accident. She uncovers a plot to overthrow the World of Deaths. Now she must also discover the reason she's been brought there: the first female Death in a million years.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thank you Kelsey McBride for sending me this.  I received this for an honest review.
When the book first started I wasn't sure how I was going to like it.  The blurb had me hooked, but in the beginning I wasn't sure how I felt about Suzie.  I felt bad for her, she was taken away from her family to this strange world to become a Death, and here's the kicker: there are no other girls.  How would you like to be surrounded by boys all the time?  I know I would hate it.  And they don't like Suzie too much either.
Now I know I said I started out not liking Suzie too much, I didn't quite know how I felt about her, but once we got to the world filled with Deaths she grew on me.  I felt like this was so unfair for her to be dragged to a world where there are no other girls, and she can't visit her family.  It doesn't seem fun.  I also liked Jason and Billy who were her roommates, yes she has to room with boys.  They were cool, and I loved Jason from the moment that I met him, he was adorable.  
At this point you're probably wondering why this world is just filled with boys right?  Why is she rooming with boys?  Why aren't there other girls?  It is because girls are not allowed to be Deaths.  The last time a girl was a Death let's just say it didn't end well.  So the guys aren't too trusting of Suzie and treat her kind of poorly, all except Jason and Billy.
It was interesting to follow along with Suzie's journey and how she handled things.  For so long she wanted to go home, but at the end of the book she feels differently, she feels at home and she finally accepts her role as a Death.
I would recommend this book, it is different from anything else that I have read.  If you start out like I did and don't know how you feel about this book just stick around.  Get passed the first chapter and deeper into the world of the Deaths and you may feel differently.
I hope that you enjoy this book as much as I did.
Rating: Five Stars
~AJ 

No comments:

Post a Comment