Friday, November 7, 2014

Poison by Bridget Zinn

PoisonSixteen-year-old Kyra, a highly-skilled potions master, is the only one who knows her kingdom is on the verge of destruction—which means she’s the only one who can save it. Faced with no other choice, Kyra decides to do what she does best: poison the kingdom’s future ruler, who also happens to be her former best friend.

But, for the first time ever, her poisoned dart . . . misses.

Now a fugitive instead of a hero, Kyra is caught in a game of hide-and-seek with the king’s army and her potioner ex-boyfriend, Hal. At least she’s not alone. She’s armed with her vital potions, a too-cute pig, and Fred, the charming adventurer she can’t stop thinking about. Kyra is determined to get herself a second chance (at murder), but will she be able to find and defeat the princess before Hal and the army find her?

Kyra is not your typical murderer, and she’s certainly no damsel-in-distress—she’s the lovable and quick-witted hero of this romantic novel that has all the right ingredients to make teen girls swoon.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
First off let me say that I was extremely saddened when I discovered that the author of this book died a few years ago from cancer.  I loved this book so much and I would have loved to have more from her.  I think she is an amazing author.
Now onto the review of the book.
I loved this book.  I'm so glad I picked it up.  Kyra was such a strong character, she's a bad ass.  And she's on the run because they think she tried to kill the princess. Which I mean she did, but I mean it wasn't the real princess.  So awkward.
No the kingdom is hunting her down, and she's only got a few potions left to kill the imposter and find her friend.  Oh and did I mention she has a pig named Rosie?  Well she does, and Rosie is so adorable.  You can see her on the cover.  She runs into a guy named Fred, who kind of stalks her a little bit, but it's all cool.  I liked Fred, I though he was swoon worthy.  I think him and Kyra are perfect for one another.  I ship it so hard it's not even funny how hard I ship it.
I thought this was a well put together book, and I would have loved to have seen Bridget Zinn develop it more.  She never got to her book published and I am deeply saddened by that, as a writer myself I couldn't imagine not seeing something I worked so hard on being published.
Sorry, I didn't mean to bring the mood of this post down, but I had to say that...
Anywho, who wants to hear more about the swoon worthy Fred?
He's just an awesome. Him and Kyra have this little banter thing going on and it is totally adorable.  You can tell they like each other, but Kyra doesn't want to admit it until the end, and it was just so cute.  And the best part?  He's a friggin' prince!  Or I think he's a prince, he might be a duke or something it's been a while since I read this book and I don't really remember, but I'm pretty sure he's a prince.  Who doesn't want to marry Ari because he was to be with Kyra.  *Insert crowd AWWW here* 
Kyra learns so much about herself over the course of the book.  She really grows to, and it was a wonderful growth to watch. 
This book was funny, and a good read.  I really did enjoy it.  I would totally recommend it to anyone who likes magic and reading about anyone who is a fugitive. 
Favorite Quotes:

“Ari, maybe we should get you out of here. No joke. You really are dangerous with thus truth serum in you, You might sat something you wished you hadn't."
"Like that your mum scares me, but I think your dad is kind of cute in and old-guy sort of way?"
"Exactly like that."
"Eh. I'm not worried.” 


“Okay, that one's pretty good," Fred acknowledged, after she'd told him a particularly filthy joke. "But have you heard the one about the baker's wife?"
"No," Kyra said.
"Rumor has it, she married him for his buns." Fred burst out laughing.
Kyra groaned. "Okay, that was just bad.”


“Kyra." Fred caught Kyra's eyes. "I'm not in love with Ariana and I don't want half the kingdom."
"You don't?"
He shook his head. "But I might stick around for a little while longer. There are some interesting things in the Kingdom of Mohr."
"Like what?"
"Like a certain funny and extremely talented potioner."
Kyra took a breath. "I have to warn you, Hal isn't that great as a boyfriend. He's pretty self absorbed.” 


Overview:
Stars: Five Stars
Author: Bridget Zinn 
Series Book: No
Will I Read The Next One: Seeming as how its' not a series book, no I will not.
~~~~~A 

No comments:

Post a Comment