Saturday, January 17, 2015

School Spirits by Rachel Hawkins

School Spirits (School Spirits, #1)Fifteen-year-old Izzy Brannick was trained to fight monsters. For centuries, her family has hunted magical creatures. But when Izzy’s older sister vanishes without a trace while on a job, Izzy's mom decides they need to take a break.

Izzy and her mom move to a new town, but they soon discover it’s not as normal as it appears. A series of hauntings has been plaguing the local high school, and Izzy is determined to prove her worth and investigate. But assuming the guise of an average teenager is easier said than done. For a tough girl who's always been on her own, it’s strange to suddenly make friends and maybe even have a crush.

Can Izzy trust her new friends to help find the secret behind the hauntings before more people get hurt?

Rachel Hawkins' delightful spin-off brings the same wit and charm as the New York Times best-selling Hex Hall series. Get ready for more magic, mystery and romance!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
So let's talk a little about Izzy.  I liked Izzy, but I didn't like her as much as I liked Sophie.  There was just something about Sophie that I liked much better.  Sophie and Izzy are cousins in case you haven't read Hex Hall yet.  Which you should, as I have already said in my review of the book.
Izzy was just, I don't know, there was just something off about Izzy.
I liked the book I thought it was excellent, I enjoyed learning more about the Brannick clan, and seeing how they lived.  
So Izzy and her mom move to a new town because they're looking for Izzy's sister, Finley, who has gone missing, and they're chasing down leads.  Well they soon find out that the town they just moved too is being haunted.  Joy.
Okay so that's probably not what the ghost looks like because I'm pretty sure it isn't some lame criminal off of Scooby Doo.  I mean what self respecting ghost goes around wearing a sheet?  If I was a ghost there would be no way in hell that I would be wearing a effing sheet.
So Izzy now has to figure out how to get rid of the ghost and why it's just suddenly here before it kills someone.  Remember how I said there was a psychotic ghost in Hex Hall?  Well there's one in this book too.
Crazy ghost seem to be this family's bread and butter doesn't it?
Well while Izzy is going to regular school she meets a boy.  Izzy hasn't ever really been around a boy before.  This is all kind of new territory for her.  His name is Dex, and if I remember correctly he's kind of a bad boy, or maybe he was just flamboyant.  She kind of starts to fall for this boy, and soon they both really like one another.  I think her mom was like:
The Brannicks sort of shun men for the most part because they are strictly all women.  But by the end of the book Izzy's mom welcomes him in with open arms.
So this book was good.  It wasn't better than the Hex Hall series, but still good.  I would reccomend this to anyone who liked the Hex Hall series and maybe wanted to know a little more about the Barnnicks.  Also if you like the paranormal than this is the book for you.

Quotes:

“You knocked out Ben McCrary?' he asked, eyes wide.
'It was an accident,' I said again. 'I threw the ball harder than I meant to.'
Dex burst into laughter. 'Oh my God, that is the greatest thing I've heard all week. You are my new hero.'
Squinting at me, he leaned in and said, 'Serious, I might actually be in love with you now. Would it be awkward if we made out?”

“I don’t know what heaven smells like, but if it doesn’t smell like freshly baked cookies, I will be really disappointed.”

“Damn it,Izzy, I told you, keeping a low profile is an essential part of every job."
"I was trying!"
"And breaking someone's arm by second period? That was your attempt at trying?”

“Dex leveled a fake-sultry gaze at me. "Are you coming on to me?”

Overview:
Stars: Four and Half
Author: Rachel Hawkins
Series Book:  Not sure at the moment
Will I Read The Next One:  If there is one then yes I will.
~~~~AJ 

No comments:

Post a Comment