Friday, January 16, 2015

Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini

9462795How do you defy destiny?

Helen Hamilton has spent her entire sixteen years trying to hide how different she is—no easy task on an island as small and sheltered as Nantucket. And it's getting harder. Nightmares of a desperate desert journey have Helen waking parched, only to find her sheets damaged by dirt and dust. At school she's haunted by hallucinations of three women weeping tears of blood . . . and when Helen first crosses paths with Lucas Delos, she has no way of knowing they're destined to play the leading roles in a tragedy the Fates insist on repeating throughout history.

As Helen unlocks the secrets of her ancestry, she realizes that some myths are more than just legend. But even demigod powers might not be enough to defy the forces that are both drawing her and Lucas together—and trying to tear them apart.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
So I have a thing for Greek mythology, any mythology in general really.  Greek is my favorite, though so you may see me review more that has to do with Greek mythology.  So if I tend to review book that have a mythology theme do not be surprised.
So this book very good, well written, and I quite enjoyed it.  I would literally stay up with my light turned off and flashlight in hand under the covers reading it because it was so good that I couldn't stop and I had to be asleep.  
Okay so maybe not here lately because I'm on a sleeping supplement because I have a hard time going to sleep, but if I didn't this would still be very true.
Any who Helen is like this normal teenager, she goes to school works at a bakery/some kind of convenience store (I think it's been a while since I read this and some details are a little fuzzy), and she doesn't know much about her mom because she left a long time ago, and there are no photos of her in the house that she lives in with her dad.  Her dad believes that her mom took all the photos of herself when she left.
Then one day in walks Lucas Delos.  You kind of dislike him and his family at first because they are totally rude to Helen, and they even get into fights, but you understand why later on as things start to come to light.  He was not on my fictional boyfriend list until he saved Helen's life the time they almost died.
You find out that Lucas, his family, and Helen are all demigods, although they call themselves scions.  If you don't know what scion means, it means descendant.  All demigods get this need to kill one another when they're around someone who is not from their tribe.  It was a curse put on them long ago by the gods.  They all stay they way until a blood debt is paid, which means two different houses have to save one another to pay it.  When Lucas saved Helen that blood was paid, and him and his family could stand to be around her and she could stand to be around them.  They're all like, "Hey!  We don't hate one another anymore!"

They become closer and Helen learns how to use her powers, the only problem is they don't know what god or goddess she's descended from because she doesn't know who her mother is.  Don't worry you find out at either the end of this book or the next.  Like I said it's been a while since I've read this and some of the details are a little fuzzy.
So I would recommend this to my mythology loving readers, and anyone who loves a good star crossed romance. 

Quotes:

“I don’t care how hard being together is, nothing is worse than being apart.” 

 “How do you know all this about me?" Helen sputtered. Claire sighed.
"After I pushed you off the roof..." she began.
"After you WHAT?" Lucas yelled.”

“You've got the killer instincts of a houseplant.”

“Get this. So he comes up to me at lunch, right? And he starts asking me all these questions about you. Like, how long have I known you, where are you from, did I ever meet your mom before she skipped town...'
'My mom? That's weird,' Helen interrupted.
'And I start answering him with my usual flair for clever repartee,' Claire said, a bit too innocently.
'Translation: you insulted him.”

“Will someone please tell me why you all call me 'Sparky'?" she burst out in frustration. "And if I get stabbed one more time tonight I'm going to lose it!" she added, rounding on Jason, who was sneaking up behind her holding a stapler.”

Overview:
Rating: Five Stars
Author: Josephine Angelini
Series Book: Yes
Will I Read The Next One: Yeppers, already have.
~~~~~AJ 

No comments:

Post a Comment