Wednesday, January 14, 2015

The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan

28187Percy Jackson is a good kid, but he can't seem to focus on his schoolwork or control his temper. And lately, being away at boarding school is only getting worse-Percy could have sworn his pre-algebra teacher turned into a monster and tried to kill him. When Percy's mom finds out, she knows it's time that he knew the truth about where he came from, and that he go to the one place he'll be safe. She sends Percy to Camp Half Blood, a summer camp for demigods (on Long Island), where he learns that the father he never knew is Poseidon, God of the Sea. Soon a mystery unfolds and together with his friends -- one a satyr and the other the demigod daughter of Athena -- Percy sets out on a quest across the United States to reach the gates of the Underworld (located in a recording studio in Hollywood) and prevent a catastrophic war between the gods.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This, this is the book that got me into reading and writing.  Before picking up the book I hated reading.  I despised it with a burning passion.
So if it hadn't been for this book I would not be writing this review right now, and I would not be the writer I am today.  So I really have to thank Rick Riordan for inspiring me to do what I love.
Okay so the mushy gushy stuff is over now, onto the actual review of the book.
Percy Jackson is sassy, this kid is the best.  He has had a shit load of crap thrown on him seemingly since birth.  He has ADHD and Dyslexia, he been bounced around from school to school, his dad walked out on him and his mom while he was still a baby, his step father is a total douche, and he doesn't do very well in school.  So he has a lot of shit going on in his life, and it seemingly gets worse when his mom is "killed" by a minotaur and he finds out that his dad is an ancient Greek god.
The real kicker is when you find out who is dad is...
Wait for it....
*Dramatic drum roll*
POSEIDON KING OF THE SEA.
Then he gets blamed for taking Zeus's master bolt.  Yet again something is being thrown his way.  Now he has to go on a quest with his best friend Grover, who is a saytr, and a girl named Annabeth.  Annabeth is one kick ass chick.  Her mom is Athena, the goddess of wisdom.  Percy likes to call her Wise Girl, and she likes to call him Seaweed Brain.
You know those characters that your just like, "Them!  They are going to get together later on!  They are the perfect couple!"?  Well that is Percy and Annabeth, you can't help, but ship them from the very beginning.
This book is really good, and it has so many plot twists and it is just epic.  If you don't fall in love with Percy or the funny chapter titles there is something seriously wrong with you my friend.
I recommend this to all my Greek mythology loving friends, and to anyone who loves sassy characters who have had a shit ton of stuff thrown at them in life.

Quotes:

“How did you die?"
"We er....drowned in a bathtub."
"All three of you?"
"It was a big bathtub.”

“The real world is where the monsters are.”

Braccas meas vescimini!"
I wasn't sure where the Latin came from. I think it meant 'Eat my pants!”

“Safety from what? Who's after me?"
Oh, nobody much," Grover said, obviously still miffed about the donkey comment. "Just the Lord of the Dead and a few of his blood-thirstiest minions."

Overview:
Stars: Five Stars
Author: Rick Riordan
Series Book: Yes
Will I Read The Next One: Yes I most certainly will.
~~~~AJ 



No comments:

Post a Comment